Monday, June 2, 2014

Placement almost over

I have 4 days left of placement. I am more comfortable in the class now and sad to be leaving. I have incorporated differentiation into the class each day/class as best I can. I have made connections between the ideas I have learnt at University and how to actually present these ideas in class. I feel I have made sense of what I have learnt about differentiation and how it has now influenced my teaching pedagogy. While I have had some negative experiences trying to come to terms with this placement, I feel that this had made me understand the type of teacher I am going to be.

 There will be this lingering question in my mind when planning for my students which is "How can I create an effective learning environment for my students and allow them to reach their learning needs?"


I have included some images of the learning this week and the lesson plans.

This oral language lesson has been grouped by having students with lower oral language levels with those with higher oral language levels. Students who have been formatively assessed to determined who has been put into which group. 
This is so lower readiness students can experience a higher level of discussion to aid them in their learning.

Math student reflection: 
 The student that was being sent to the 6/7 maths class is continuing with this program. He has expressed that he is enjoying spending time in this class and feels challenged but rewarded and also proud that he is in this class. He said he is feeling more confident in the middle primary class now, even in literacy classes even though he is still struggling with his spelling and organization. One other thing that has improved with this student is his ability to proof read his work better. The 6/7 teacher has enforced him to re-read his math working out more which has effected his ability to proof-read his writing. He is now much better at taking time and organizing his written work that his spelling errors have reduced in drafts. This child has been able to transfer learning from one area of the curriculum to another, this was not one of my intentions when I initially had this idea but it is working out fantastically for him. The adjustments and adaptations (Pagliano, Pagliano, Robyn, 2008) for this child, in differentiated his grouping and access to curriculum as well as his learning environment, has allowed this student to extend his learning above what I could provide him in my 4/5 math class.



Pagliano, Paul & Gillies, Robyn M 2008, 'Curriculum, adjustments, and adaptations', in Ashman, Adrian F & Elkins, John (eds.), Education for inclusion and diversity, 3rd edn, Pearson Education Australia, Frenchs Forest, NSW, pp. 201-234.

No comments:

Post a Comment