Sunday, May 4, 2014

Week 3- taking spelling

This week I am taking all the classes now. This includes spelling where I have to make 4 groups with different content in each group. I also have to make SSO notes for the three dyslexic students who need aid during this lesson.
I think I have created a pretty good spelling timetable for this week. I allow each group to work independently but with guidance from myself. There is a Jolly grammar group, and extension group and two IEP groups.


I have reflected on my week two history learning task and I feel that my grouping went well. I originally placed students into three groups of seven and this caused chaos in the classroom. No one was helping anyone, people were being left out of discussions and learning was not happening.

I changed the groups to 7 groups of 3 and Hey presto! things began to change. I feel the way I differentiated the groups worked well to accommodate the students readiness. Those who had access to all of the sources were able to find the information needed and those who had access to no sources were able to go away and search for themselves.

I feel that differentiation is  becoming more of a habit with me in the classroom and I am constantly thinking about what to do next, with each student. I have been reflecting on the reading by Heacox (2009) and how make differentiation more natural and I am picking up on more habits here and their in my planning. While this reading reflects on gifted students, I am using her ideas during planning such as using feedback more, using technology, using rubrics and having anchor activities.



Only thing I would change is having students create a timeline on the computer for those who had trouble writing and spelling.

This weeks history learning task is to create a journal entry as if they were a famous explorer. Students will have the same task, but will have different access to sources and have the option of typing or cursive writing their journal entries depending on their readiness. 


Below are the different grouping information for my spelling unit this week.







Heacox, Diane 2009, 'Critical element: differentiating for gifted and talented learners', in Heacox, Diane, Making differentiation a habit: how to ensure success in academically diverse classrooms, Free Spirit Pub, Minneapolis, MN, pp. 136-152.

No comments:

Post a Comment