Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Struggletown

I had a struggle day today. I had planned for a NIT that I thought I had to do some planning. I was told as I was about to leave that it wasn't a NIT. CRASH BANG eeeeek. That's what my brain said to me.
Alternate plan. Planning for 15mins at Recess. I managed to do it all but felt rushed and hungry and tired for the rest of the day. I would like to say I managed but I don't know if I did.

A positive from the day- I managed to improvise a section of my guided reading when I found out I didn't have enough books. I split the threes from the 4's and 5's.

Note to think about- grouping for history. How can I make it better for tomorrow so they optimize their learning?


I have also reflected on how my classes are going in History. I am finding this class a challenge to differentiate but also rewarding. So far I have included a menu activity for the students exploration of the Peramangk people. I have also used the grouping chart to help with this. I have changed groups from 7 to 3 as this was more manageable.  I feel the differentiation is going well and students are working to their ZPD. While a lot of students need help to guide them on their way, once they have an idea, they can work independently.
Even though I have put all the information in the task folders so I do not have to explain 4 lots of instructions, I am still spending a lot of time in class being bombarded by students who want help. By bombarded I mean, they constantly come up to me to ask the simplest of questions such as "can I use pen instead of pencil". Students will be lining up 3-4 at a time to ask these questions while I am trying to give my attention to a student who needs help.
Due to this I have made a new technique to help me in class. This will also help with students to maintain a learning flow in the class. I have made a concierge board. Students will write their name on the board if they want help and then they go back to their desks and continue their work until I come to them. It is so far working really well and I feel less stressed with 4 students following me all the time and not learning! 

 I used this from the first assignment.
I have also allowed students to type their answers if they are struggling with writing. This was a reflection from the assignments.


Something else that I am doing this week and is allowing a student to attend the year 6/7 math classes. This student is a dyslexic year 5 student but excels at Maths. After discussion with the Mentor teacher, the 6/7 teacher and the Principal, we are trialling this student in the 6/7 class to see how he goes. I thought this would be a good idea as this student lacks confident in some areas of school due to his dyslexia and this extension will boost his confidence.  I thought about this idea after attending a dyslexia PD day as well as reading from the article by Krause (2010). This student has special needs in a disability but also has special needs for his high mathematical ability. He will also be able to attend the year 4/5 math lessons as well on some days of the week so he doesn't feel left out from his class and what they are learning. I am going see how he is going after two weeks and talk with him to see if he is enjoying it.


Krause, Kerri-Lee Dawn 2010, 'Learners with special needs and inclusive education', in Krause, Kerri-Lee Dawn, Educational psychology for learning and teaching, 3rd edn, Cengage Learning Australia, South Melbourne, Vic., pp. 326-363.



No comments:

Post a Comment